Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Suit Filed!

After a delay to consider some new ideas from ACLU members, I'm happy and relieved to say that my suit was filed yesterday.

After an interview that morning with the Washington Post (see it here), my lawyer and I filed a complaint at the federal courthouse on Constitution Ave, in view of 'the United States Capitol. We only had to walk a few blocks to serve the US attorneys office, and now the government has 60 days to respond.

I'm pleased to report that the judge we've been assigned is Ricardo Urbina, known for his historic decision last year to free Uighur detainees at Guantanamo into the US. (ny times article here). At the time he said, “I think the moment has arrived for the court to shine the light of constitutionality on the reasons for detention,” a sentiment I certainly hope he repeats in my case.

So I'm exhausted and overwhelmed with gratitude, not only that everything has proceeded so well so far, but to all of those who continue to offer their support over this long journey. I don't know what I could've done without you, but I'm sure it would pale in comparison to this.

My hope remains that the word is spread widely and especially to those who have to wrestle with draft registration in the near future.

If you're interested, below is the press release and a copy of the complaint filed in court.
1. Press Release.pdf
2. Complaint.pdf

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home